While chiropractic care can fix headaches by correcting subluxations in the spine, there are other temporary treatments that help reduce aches. With help from chiroone.net, we have listed 7 holistic, natural ways to relieve headaches.
- Chamomile tea, a mild sedative, acts as an anti-inflammatory and relaxes muscles and depresses the nervous system, providing a calming effect.
- Heat can be applied to the neck, a common source of headaches when tightness or tension is present. Cold can be used on the temples or the forehead for headaches that are pulsing and hot.
- Peppermint oil mixed with coconut oil and applied to the shoulders, temples, forehead, back, or neck is a soothing topical treatment that can reduce the pain of a headache, improve blood circulation, and relieve tension.
- Water is the most important remedy. Most headaches are the result of dehydration. Whether you replenish your water supply with celery or watermelon, you should be drinking water throughout the day!
- Massages can improve blood flow and relieve tension when massages focus on the temples and the neck area. Gentle pressure is very effective for headache pain and massages in 30-minute increments can reduce and eliminate headache symptoms
- Feverfew is an herbal tea that has been widely-used for centuries to treat headache pain. Its active ingredient parthenolide is an anti-inflammatory and widens vessels, preventing vessel constriction in the head and relieving muscle spasms.
- Black coffee, although it can be addictive and in turn make headaches worse, is a treatment that should be used sparsely to constrict blood the blood vessels in your head and relieve pain.